5.9.07

Flowers at II's!



I believe this is a Datura, also called the Devil's Trumpet, it blooms at night and wilts in the day (if this is wrong, tell me). Used a flash with a diffusion card over the front and sidelit it as to not have light spill into the background. Also used the 1/250th sync to get rid of any ambient light. The hard part was the focusing, which consisted of setting the lens to it's minimum focusing distance and moving either closer or further away from it while snapping photos until I had one in focus. Oh yeah, this is not studio.


Canon 30D
ISO: 400
F/7.1 @ 1/250
Lit with SB-28
24mm FL

8 comments:

Ashley Garner said...

This is beautiful. I really love the light and the composition.

Jonathan E. Andrews said...

I like to hear stories about the photographer's struggles to get a particular shot. This looks like studio work, and if I understood the description correctly, it was not. The lighting is really beautiful especially from such a modest setup.

Tara Joyce said...

I love the nice contrast you have here! The flower is beautiful and your lighting looks really good! Nice work!

Lucy said...

Mr. Dearing! I love this shot! I love the light shining on it and the contrast is beautiful. You surely are good at photographing flowers!

20/20 Vision said...

You have done it again!!!!!!!!!! Can you teach me how to light flowers? Amazing photograph Jessey.

Sarah Enfiedjian said...

Jessy the way you shot this flower is very interesting, did it start to wilt after you took the shot? (because of the flash, is why i asked that and where did you find it?) Very unique i like it, two thumbs way up.

Danny Bayer said...

Really nice. Looks like your hard work paid off.

Alexa's Photography said...

Awesome shot for not being in the studio. Looks like it took alot of hard work and turned out amazing.